Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Berry-Topped Puff Pancake

The family thoroughly enjoyed this Sunday breakfast.  You can improvise with the fruit a little bit to your own liking.

Berry-Topped Puff Pancake

Ingredients:
2 T. butter
2 eggs
1/2 c. 2% milk
1/2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt

Topping:
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 c. orange juice
2 t. orange liqueur
1 c. sliced strawberries
1 c. fresh blueberries
1 c. raspberries
Confectioner's sugar, optional

Directions:
Place butter in a 9 inch pie plate.  Place in a 425 degree oven for 4-5 minutes or until melted.  Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk.  In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.  Whisk into egg mixture until blended.  Pour into prepared pie plate.  Bake for 14-16 minutes or until sides are crisp and golden brown.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, and cornstarch.  Gradually stir in orange juice and liqueur.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.  Remove from heat. 

Spoon berries over pancake and drizzle with sauce.  Dust with confectioner's sugar if desired.

In my test kitchen:
So...when making the pancake, I was lazy and didn't want to pull the pan out of the oven.  I just pulled the rack out and poured the batter in from there.  I'm not sure if that was the reason that the pancake came out lopsided?  But the part that rose higher than the rest burned pretty badly so I will attempt to pour the batter in the pan while it's on a more level surface next time.

I didn't have fresh blueberries or raspberries on hand but I had some frozen ones.  Those worked just fine but fresh raspberries would have been preferable;  the raspberries were a little mushy once thawed.  I think I used a different ratio of fruits as well.  It was more like 1 1/2 c. strawberries, and 1/2 c. blueberries and 1/2 c. raspberries.  I think the main point is just to have enough fruit to put in your pancake.  Fresh peaches would have been great too!  I used orange extract in lieu of the liqueur. 

The biggest difference to the dish for me was that I put the blueberries into my sauce to break down a bit.  I'm not a big fan of whole blueberries.  I find their skins to be really tough and I don't enjoy eating them.  So adding them to the sauce helped soften them up and break them down a bit. 

I scooped out the blueberries and added them to the pancake first.  I didn't use all of the sauce prepared. You can use that to your liking.

~Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment