Friday, May 23, 2014

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I've never been one to crave Chicken Cordon Bleu.  But any time I make risotto, I always end up with leftover white wine.  I hate for it to go to waste so I use my AllRecipes app to find different recipes with white wine in them.  I found this particular Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe and made some alterations of my own. I'd make it again...definitely! 
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Ingredients:
6 boneless chicken breasts
6 slices Swiss cheese
6 slices deli ham
1 c. plain bread crumbs
1 t. paprika
1 t. garlic powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 T. butter
3 T. olive oil
1/2 c. white wine
1 t. chicken bouillon granules
1 T. cornstarch
1 c. heavy whipping cream
Parsley (for garnish)
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, paprika, and garlic powder.
 
Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness.  Place cheese and ham slices on each chicken breast.  Fold the edges of the chicken over and secure with toothpicks.  Brush each chicken breast with beaten egg then roll in bread crumb mixture. 
 
Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Add chicken to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until chicken is well browned.  Transfer chicken to a greased casserole dish and cook for 10-15 minutes. 
 
Meanwhile add wine and bouillon granules to butter in skillet.  Reduce heat to low.  Blend whipping cream and cornstarch in a small bowl.  Slowly whisk into wine sauce.  Cook, stirring until thickened.
Remove toothpicks from cooked chicken and drizzle sauce over top.  Sprinkle with parsley.
 
In my test kitchen:
 
Don't quote me on the oven cooking time.  It might depend on how thick your chicken is.  Mine were smaller and I pounded them out thin.  I also think it needed more than 1 slice of Swiss cheese.  I could barely taste it.  I also messed up and dumped the cornstarch right into the butter sauce rather than mixing it with the whipping cream first.  So it started out a little lumpy and I had to whisk the crap out of it to smooth it out.  Also, it has been referenced that you can use chicken broth instead of white wine.  I highly recommend trying it with the wine.  If you're concerned about the alcohol content, don't be.  It cooks out.  I have come to love the flavor left behind when cooking with wine.  It's very distinct and elegant. 
 
~Happy Cooking!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment